A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Tur-tul" the Toad

So, I had to run out to the store last night at about 10:30, and since Jenni was already asleep (and joe-joe should have been!) I went by myself. So I went to the store and came home, and as I was walking up the sidewalk I noticed a little dark spot on the walkway. I thought "thats kinda weird, why is it wet there?" but didn't think anything of it. Then, when I was about a foot away from the 'wet spot' it moved! Yeah- the 'wet spot' moved! It scared me half to death!!! It was still dark, so it took my eyes a bit to adjust to the darkness, and after I had recovered from almost dropping the shopping bags I had, I realized that the spot had hopped, and it must have been a frog!! So I carefully walked around it without scaring it, and turned on the porch light. Sure enough, there was a large frog sitting on our walkway! I don't think I have EVER seen a frog in utah county that wasn't in a pet store, or a pet of someones! I mean, I saw one once in St. George, on a mini-golf course, but apparently they are quite common there. So I was just a little surprised to find a frog on our porch! So I went upstairs and got Steve and we caught the little guy!

We wanted Jenni to see it, but she was asleep, and we didn't want to wake her up. But then the more we thought about it, we didn't really want to try to catch bugs for it to eat, so we decided to take pics and let it go.

Unfortunately, the little dude didn't want to get out of the box, so Steve had to persuade him to come out. (That didn't work, so be basically had to just dump him out! but he was ok!)

We caught him in Joe-joe's 'butterfly' net, which by the way has actually been used to catch a butterfly!

He decided to stay around us for a few minutes, but Steve wouldn't leave him alone, so he finally jumped into the bushes! We called him Tur-tul cause thats what Joe-joe kept calling him. Steve told joe that it wasn't a turtle, it was a toad, and joe said "Oh, i's a to-de" kinda putting two syllables on the word. It was so cute! So yeah- we have 'Tur-tul' the toad living in our garden! Woo Hoo for toads! (really, not woo hoo, cause they're kinda gross, but it was kinda cool! Steve even touched it- held it in his hand for a bit! ewww is all I had to say!)

Anyway, chat at you later, next time I have something boring to talk about!

3 peeps decided to say stuff:

Flee said...

Holy crud! That is too funny! You are such a wimp. I can't believe you wouldn't even touch him. I used to play with frogs and toads all the time growing up. (really, were you up at 2:30am??? *tsk tsk tsk*) great story.

nora.lakehurst said...

YAY!!!!! I bet that was fun to see that in the middle of the night. I think I would have been a little jumpy too. Frogs are pretty plentiful in UT you just have to look for them. They are not as well known for playing with such as Flee has. Anyways not making sense. TTYL

Stacey said...

Too bad it was late at night my kids would have loved to see it.