A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Friday, December 5, 2008

What do I do?? -- UPDATED

So, I'm super concerned, and what do I do when that happens?? Naturally, I blog!

So here's whats been going on. Jenni used to absolutely LOVE school. I mean, when we had to keep her home because she was sick she would literally throw a fit. Then- about 3 weeks ago- she decided she didn't want to go to school. Literally overnight she decided this. At first I thought it was just that she was tired, but as time went on it got worse. No matter how much sleep she gets, every morning trying to get her to go to school it like pulling teeth. She just doesn't want to go. Finally about a week and a half ago (after MUCH persuading) she told us that people are mean to her- that they call her names. So we talked about what to do when that happens, and she said she'd try.

It didn't help.

It got really bad this morning. She cried, said she didn't want to go. Then when I told her she had to, she said that her tummy hurt.

I did finally convince her to go, so we got all ready, and I drove her there ('cause by this time we had missed the bus) I walked her in and talked a little to her teacher about what was going on, and Jenni- who had gone in to class- came running out with tears in her eyes saying she didn't want to stay. I tried to get her to stay, and so did her teacher, but to no avail.

We finally decided to try to switch her to the afternoon class (called the 'later gators' instead of the 'early birds') and I'm taking her today.

I'm really so worried about her. I mean, this just isn't like her! When I asked her what she wanted to do, she said she wanted to be in a different teacher's class. If this later gator class doesn't work out I'm going to have to see about switching teachers.

Meanwhile, back in the office I had to sign a waiver excusing the absences she has had, and saying I understand that if she misses too much school that means a CLASS B MISDEMEANOR for me and Steve. But I just can't FORCE her to go when she is so upset. Not to mention I don't think they'll let her stay if she was crying like that!

ARG! Parenting is so hard sometimes! I'm coming to the realization that I can't protect her from everything, and I do not like that.

So yeah. Thats whats going on right now. Super bummer. really. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

~chelle

UPDATE

So, I just dropped Jenni off for the Later Gator class, and she was REALLY excited! We went in and talked with her teacher and it seemed to go really well! She was her normal excited self!! So, here's hoping!!!

If you would, for me, please keep Jenni in your prayers! We'd appreciate it!

9 peeps decided to say stuff:

Flee said...

Wow. That is so sad. It would be hard to leave your kid in a place that she hates because someone is mean to her. Sorry about that. I hope things get better in the afternoon class.

ems said...

ACK! So sorry! I hope the afternoon class will work better. Why doesn't she like the teacher? Maybe that could give you some ideas about how to handle it. Good luck!

Steve and Chelle said...

This was updated at 1:00 PM. The two comments above were left before the update. just fyi!!

:)

Stacey said...

So how did the later gator class go? I hope she will feel better now and want to go to school again.

So it begins eh? Sometimes you just want to put your kids in a bubble to protect them from bullies. :(

Stacey said...

FYI-Josh said he would kick the booties of the kids calling her names. So you know,it's ok for him to do it but not them. :P

nora.lakehurst said...

LOL That is funny Stace all cuzzies have the right of passage to kick booties of their cuzzies but then when others do it then its time for some kicking bootie time.
Aw Logan has the same problem. But once he is in his class he is great. Now I hope I dont get a thing like that. I think its stupid that they do that. I mean I understand but at the same time COMMON we are the mommies and daddies. oh well.

Jenn said...

I just got a chance to read this. My poor Jenny! Why would people tease her. I'll definitly be praying for her. I'm so glad the later class seems to be going well. Giver her a love and hug for me!

Corilee said...

It can be hard to make your children go to school when they know that someone will say meaan things to them. Remember, we changed schools for you when that happened to you. I have prayed for Jenni. This to will pass. Just got to endure to the end.

September said...

I hope she continues to do better in this other class. Poor kid.
I still can't get Benjamin to be happy about school again but I don't think 3 year old special needs kids make fun of each other. So I really don't know what it is with him.