A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tolerance

Stace posted a link to an article in the Meridian Magazine that I was very moved by. You can read the entire article by clicking HERE

Really, it's hard for me to not feel anger at what the 'no on prop 8' protesters did at the Los Angeles Temple recently, just as it is very difficult for me to not be angry at the people who sent white powder to the church office building and the Los Angeles Temple. **(see more below) This article however had a lot of very good points to it, one of my favorites was this:

"Tolerance is not agreement and should not be a one way street. However, we must still remain tolerant of those who are intolerant of us. "

Wow! I was taken aback! I loved that- Tolerance is not agreement. I've always liked the phrase 'agree to disagree' and this is what tolerance should be. We are not always going to agree with everything that goes on around us, but that doesn't mean those disagreements should lead to anger, contention, and worse. We fight for what we believe in, not against those who believe differently. It may seem like the same thing, but its not. Here's another blip from that article:

"We can only be disciples of Christ when we respond to adversity in a Christlike manner. To do less opens our actions to the influence of the adversary and hurts us even more."

Anyway, I'm glad Prop 8 passed. I'm glad there is still some people willing to stand up for what is right regardless of persecution. Thank you to all those who have dealt with whats going on in California. Thank you for staying true to your beliefs. Thank you for being so strong!

**As I stated above, there was an envelope with white powder mailed to the church office building/Salt Lake Temple, and the Los Angeles Temple a few days ago (it was originally reported the church office building, then later reported as the Salt Lake Temple.) You can hear and read KSL's story by clicking HERE. This bothers me for a number of reasons- the obvious one being they were mailed to the Headquarters of the church, and a Temple of the Lord. The less obvious one is this- my sister works at the church office building. I realized that if anything were ever to happen there, ie an attack of sorts, she could be at risk! This scared me a little. I called her the night the story originally aired and we talked for a bit. I felt better after talking to her, but still, I am worried by it! I do believe, though, that no righteous man or woman will be taken before their time.

Anyway. I'll get off my soapbox now! I would highly recommend reading the article from Meridian though. It is very good. I hope I can be more like the man that wrote it!

Have a wonderful day all!!
Peace out!

chelle

2 peeps decided to say stuff:

Corilee said...

I was especially touched when I heard of the young students who were being persecuted by their peers at their schools for the stand they took. It tends to scare me though, even though I know these things will continue and even get worse in the years to come. I hope the Lord will continue to bless me with peace about these type of things. I have been praying alot about that. I hope to be able to display the same attitude the man in the article has.

September said...

I havn't read the article yet but I just had to say that I love, love, love this "We fight for what we believe in, not against those who believe differently."

Simple, profound, perfectly phrased.