A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mommy!

Today is Mommy's birthday!! Yay!!!

My mom is 29 again! (I know!! A medical miracle!! Who knew she would have 7 kids BEFORE she was born right!)

I absolutely love my mommy!!! I have SO many fun memories of her! I remember when I was little (grade school-jr high ish) everyday after school I would go 'cuddle' with mommy. Sometimes we would talk, sometimes we would just lay. Sometimes we would fall asleep. I remember one time, we were listening to mom's rainstorm tape (kinda like a waves tape to fall asleep to, but this one was a rainstorm). Mommy and I had both kinda dozed off. She had the tape on really loud (as usual! I think my 'rents are going deaf!) so here we are both pretty much asleep and all of the sudden there was a BIG LOUD clap of thunder. We both jumped really really high!! then we both laughed about how it scared us both! It was funny! (although looking back I don't really know why one would listen to that tape to fall asleep? I mean, why listen to something that has loud thunder claps anyway???)

I remember when I was really little (grade school or younger) my mom would sometimes drive past our house when we were on the way home. Then me or em would say "Mom you past the house!!!" and she would act all surprised and back up! hee hee! she is so silly!

Mommy has always loved animals. Or rather- mommy has always loved the thought of having an animal. Daddy being the softie that he is usually caved to mom when she wanted to get a pet, but the last few years he has started putting his foot down. On day, after mom and dad had been talking about getting a puppy, and dad saying absolutely not, mom thought she'd play a little trick on dad. While he was at work, she set out a newspaper and put a bowl of dog food, and a little bowl of water on it. Then she spilled a little of the water on the newspaper to make it look like a dog had dank there. Daddy was not thrilled when he saw it! She had a good long laugh about that!

My mommy set a very good example. I can not count the number of times I would walk in her room and she would be praying and we'd have to wait outside the door until she was done. (And if you haven't met my mom, that woman can PRAY! Seriously. Sometimes I swear I could have died from boredom waiting for her to finish. That used to bug me when I was little, but now I realize just how amazing she really is!) She used to sing us primary songs, and lullaby's. I got my love of music from her. One of my favorite songs she used to sing to us is "Babes in the Wood" (which Steve refuses to let me sing to the kids. He says its morbid . . . um, and he's kinda right. But its got such a pretty melody!!)

I remember reading a story in the New Era once that talked about two boys. One boy had a Book of Mormon that was all nice and crisp. Another had one that was really worn. The first boy saw the worn one and thought his was so much better because it was all nice, until he realized that the worn one was worn from use. I remember while I was reading this story I thought of my Mom's scriptures. Her Book of Mormon from when I was growing up is at least twice the size it used to be. The pages just don't lay as thin as they used to0 because she has used it so much. I thought that was pretty cool!

Really, there are SO many memories I could share here, so so many. But ALAS!! I need to get back to unpacking! Mommy dearest I love you! Thank you for being such an amazing person, and someone I could emulate! You're the best!



oh, and you're not allowed to die at 72. Just fyi. I will still need you then. :)! (unless of course the Lord has other plans!)

5 peeps decided to say stuff:

Flee said...

I love the stories! What fun memories. :)

Stacey said...

I remember the imaginary dog story,lol.

What makes the song "Babes in the Wood" so morbid? I'm sure I have been told before what is about,but I forgot.

Corilee said...

What a sweet post. It's so interesting the different things each of you kids remember from your childhood. By the way, the puppy story is fairly recent. I did the paper and dog food in the hall in this house. Still, it was a good joke and I didn't know you even knew about it.

Thanks for the memories and I love you too. You were the best "mistake" we ever made. ;)

nora.lakehurst said...

I cannot read your blog very well chell. The light green is making it hard to read. But I did get most of it in small bits from the brown above. I do love your blog colors though very cute.

ems said...

So precious! I like the dog story too, but I think one of my favorites was the one when dad was walking around the kitchen w/no clothes and she pretended you guys had knocked on the door and she told you to come in just about giving dad a heart attack! :) That's a classic.

P.S. Stace, that "Babes in the Woods" song, like many of the lullabies, talks about two babies dying. Thus, the morbidity. Someone takes them away and leaves them in the forest to die. Yeah it is morbid, but Chelle's right, it has a very pretty melody.