A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm a little bit handicapped!!!

So, I'm at work, and labor and delivery called saying they were going to section a patient and asked if we would bring the bed up. (When we do a c-section on a mother we take the bed she's going to be using on mom/baby up to the c-section area so she only has to be transferred once). I've helped someone else do this before, and I was pretty sure I could do it without help, so me, being all confident, went to the room to get the bed.

I unlocked the wheels, and started steering it out of the room. I kinda ran into the door just a little, and had to back up and try going through the door again (maybe I might have had to try 3 times before I got it right, but who's really counting???) stupid bed.

I remembered that the elevators we usually use to take beds upstairs (the staff elevators) were having issues, so I thought I couldn't use them. I thought to myself "Oh, I'll just use the regular elevators". The regular elevators are on the other side of locked double doors. I unlocked them, and fought for a couple of minutes to get the bed through. (It just really didn't want to go through!) The whole time I'm thinking "This door has an alarm on it, and if it's help open too long it will get REALLY loud!!" Seeing as how I didn't want to wake up half the unit at 11:30 pm, I tried to go faster. Which just made me more flustered! Finally, I did make it through the doors. I punched the elevator button, and the elevator came.


It was only then that I realized these elevators are too small to fit a patient bed in them. stupid elevator.


Whatever.


So, I opened the door again, and forced the bed through the double doors. (This time it was a little easier) I went down to the elevators that were supposed to be broken only to find out that they can go between the 2nd and 3rd floors, just not anywhere else (which, by the way, is really annoying!! seriously!) So I got the bed on the elevator, using my very muscular arms- heaving it over the opening where the elevator begins. (Really, it was heavy! and the wheel got stuck in the hole, and I had to lift the bed out of it, but if you lift in the wrong spot the whole top of the bed starts to come off! Jan, I think you can probably relate!!) stupid elevator again!

So I finally got the bed to the 3rd floor, and wheeled it around the corner to some more double doors (These ones are automated! bless them!) I pushed the button to open the doors . . . and nothing happened. HMMMMM.

I pushed it again, and again, nothing happened. So I walked all the way around the unit to the nurses station to ask if the doors were having problems and the secretary told me I was probably standing too close. Pshaw. So I walked back to the bed and pushed it farther away from the door, and it still didn't open. I pushed it even farther back- I had to push it about 8 feet back before the door finally opened for me. Double-Pshaw. stupid door.

So I get the bed to where I'm supposed to leave it- right in time too cause the nurse walked out just then looking for the bed (and I could hear the little baby crying!! :) oh so sweet!) I decided to use the stairs on the way back down- just because I was bugged at the elevator and decided to boycott it!

Not until I was back down at my desk did I realize that the room I took the bed out of has a broken couch in it. I was even the one who put in a maintenance request to have it fixed! stupid couch.

I am handicapped!

So instead of calling L/D I went in and fought with the couch until I fixed it. Yeah. I know. I'm ama-za-zing!

I have decided that I will no longer be moving beds all by myself- even though I've seen other nurses do it. I will just accept that this is not my forte, and I will have to ask for help!

such is life!

6 peeps decided to say stuff:

Flee said...

ok, I was laughing the ENTIRE time I read that! I could see it all play out in my head. You are a bit "special" aren't you? Don't feel bad, I'm sure that I would have just as hard of a time as you did. Ahhhhh....so funny. Thanks for the good laugh before bed. ::)

nora.lakehurst said...

YAY for you getting it there. BUt ya I would want you to just have the help.
And MIchelle you are amazing no matter what you do. And thanks for making the font darker. Now I can read it. :D

Corilee said...

I thought you were a secretary. What are you doing moving beds and fixing chairs? Oh well, it was good for a laugh for your blogger buddies. Thanks for sharing :)

Corilee said...

I thought you were a secretary. What are you doing moving beds and fixing chairs? Oh well, it was good for a laugh for your blogger buddies. Thanks for sharing :)

Corilee said...

How is it that my comment showes up twice? Dang computers!

ems said...

Hee, hee! It's just those bed demons trying to thwart your good intentions. :) At least you helped someone!