A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and will sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't be mad

Steve and I have some somewhat exciting news, although I'm sure some of you won't like it!


As some of you know, Steve and I have talked about Steve joining the military for some time, although it never felt quite right. We've talked to various people about it, and had many people give us their opinions, but ALAS! We finally had to make the decision ourselves. After much deliberation, we decided on the Air Force. We found that they have the shortest Basic Training, it being only 6 weeks, instead of 12 or 14. The position Steve has signed up for is Aircraft Electrical and Environmental System Apprentice. Steve has a good background for it since he's worked with electrical. The recruiter gave us a few options of bases that would be available to us for this specific training, they are Goodfellow AFB in Texas, Patrick AFB in Florida, or Andrews AFB in Camp Springs Maryland. Steve and I decided to sign with Andrews AFB, because Steve is familiar with Maryland, and it won't be quite so foreign as Texas or Florida. He's talked to a few of the members there that he knows from this mission, and Sister Rogers, one of Steve's favorite members there, offered to let us stay with her when Basic is done, until we find a place of our own.

Obviously, this is kind of a surprise to some of you. Really, this is a good option for us. It will give Steve the chance to finish college, and will get him started on the path to a new career. It also worked out nicely because our contract at the apartment we just moved into is up in July, and thats when Steve has to report to boot camp. Steve doesn't actually have to be there until Monday, August 9, and our contract is up on July 31, so we'll probably end up at Steve's parents house for a few weeks. I'm not sure where I'll go once he leaves for boot camp. Maybe I'll see if I can move back in with my parents or something. Or maybe the kids and I will get a little studio apartment or something. Those details haven't all been finalized.

I had my doubts about this, but it wasn't until we were actually signing that I really felt this was the proper course for us. Don't be too mad girls, it's only a 4 year tour, and the likelihood of Steve going to Iraq is slim. I would have told you this in person, but I felt you may need some time to digest it before you talked about it!

9 peeps decided to say stuff:

Steve and Chelle said...

Oh how I hope people decide to read the comments, or else they would miss the big . . .

APRIL FOOLS!!!!

HA! Like Steve and I would go join the Air Force without at least discussing it with EVERYBODY who would listen!

Steve wanted to tell everyone that I was pregnant, but I told him that would be mean, considering how long we've been trying, and how excited people would get. I wasn't going to do anything at all, but ALAS! Steve really wanted to do something! So April Fools to all y'all out there who read this! You can rest assured that Steve and I aren't planning on moving to Maryland anytime soon!

Jenn said...

SLACKER! SLACKER! I was hyperventilating and about to cry here at work. You know how much I HATE practical jokes. I was just wondering how I would ever stand to part with my babies--so you're dead!!! You'd better never do ANYTHING like that without letting me know ahead of time!

Now I'm going to get back to work -- and I just might never check your blog at work again!!

nora.lakehurst said...

LOL That was awesome! I am glad you are staying and I was kinda confused since you said in your last post that he was going to do CDL classes. So I was like Uh ok... I am not a fan of April Fools because I dont know what is the truth and people are saying pretty big things so its hard. Anyways just thought I would share with you that I am with Jen. I hate April Fools.

Unknown said...

I admit, you got me. Not bad. Glad you're not actually going into the military. Not that it can't be a good options, etc. But I don't know how well y'all would really enjoy it ;) It did seem to be a big jump from CDL to USAF :P

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corilee said...

Yoy two are dead!!!!!

Don't ever do anything like that ever again!

It was funny though. You had me going. I was trying to be rational about it. Glad it isn't true!

ems said...

That was very funny. NOT! I didn't see it until today, so I wasn't thinking April Fool's joke, especially since Steve already did one about you being pregnant yesterday. When I looked at it a second time, I thought I'd better look at the date and of course realized before I even read the truth that it was a joke. I've never cared for April Fool's Day. Oh well, it was pretty convincing, that's for sure.

September said...

Holy crap! I'm NEVER reading your blog again!!! :p

Flee said...

Seriously, lame. I was so excited for you guys! I was hoping Steve would be sent to Offutt AFB then we could be neighbors! Lame-o.

I'm such a sucker, I hate April fools.